*** Holliston 28 *** Scituate 22 ***
Overnight Street Parking Prohibited as of Tonight
VOTE Tues Nov 4, 7am-8pm HHS, Free Flu Clinic, 2pm-6pm HHS
Real Estate Taxes due November 3rd

Old Homes Then and Now

by Bill Tobin
March 15, 2012

 The Holliston Historical Society presented an illustrated program on old homes... 

 

... and buildings in Holliston with interesting stories about them.  Town Hall is recognizable after many years of service.

 The evening began with a video tape and dialogue by Dorothy Reese (now deceased) made about 20 years ago for HCAT. This was a trip down Washington Street with photos and descriptions of the many beautiful old homes and the folks who built them.

Linda Vista built in 1802 shown above was one of the homes with a history.

Further down Washington Street is the Littlefield Tavern, restored to look as it once did. This was the tavern that George Washington visited on his trip through town.

 Many Greek Revival style homes were consctructed in the mid 1800's 

Many Greek Revival homes featured columns.

 

Prior to the Greek Revival homes, Federal style was the home of the times, constructed between 1740 and 1830. Many are still in great condition in Holliston.

Joanne showed this old shot of the central train station, one of four in town, serving passengers until 1959. This station is now known as Casey's.

This Cash Store was located at the corner of Church and Railroad Streets, now a multi family home.

These buildings were popular summer vacation homes for city folk visiting rural Holliston to enjoy restful vistas on Lake Winthrop.

 

This home in East Holliston was built in 1795.

Above is St. Mary's, not painted white. It is commonly believed that all old homes were painted white, but most were of a color as white paint was not easily available. Note the home to the left of the church, now a parking lot.

The one and a half story home became popular in the late 1800's and Holliston has many of this style, now known as Village Colonials.  The floor plan is basic to most, with slight variations. Many had an addition, about 10x10, similar the one above. This addition served as a shoe shop, very common at the time.

The meeting room at the Historical House was filled with a very appreciative audience who now know more than most about the old homes, people and conditions of our old town. 

Programs like these are sponsored by the Historical Society and are open to the public. Keep up the good work. 

 

Posted in Local Lore, Neighborhood.

E-mail This Article

Comments (2)

The photos and slides and the DVD from 1991 are all part of the archives at the Historical Society. The DVD is also available from HCAT TV for a modest fee. While the photos are not on display, they are available for viewing by appointment.

- Mary Greendale | 3/17/12 12:05 PM

This is great. Are these images on display at the society?

- JM Brown | 3/17/12 9:04 AM

Advertisement

Advertisement

Recent Articles by Bill Tobin:

Lake Como Adventure

We recently had the opportunity to visit Lake Como in Italy and St. Moritz in Switzerland with all the historic and beautiful scenery the area has to offer. Downtown Holliston has traffic, parking and pedestrian issues, but by comparison to some sidewalks and roads in the Como regions, Holliston is in great shape.

[Comments:5]

Continue ...

Blessing of The Animals

St. Mary's is a well known site for weddings, baptisms and funerals, and once a year it is very popular for blesssing animals.

Continue ...

Selectmen Interview Lieutenant Candidates

The Board of Selectmen met on Wednesday afternoon to interview four applicants for the open lieutenant position on the Holliston Police Department. It is a difficult decision as each applicant has qualifiations in experience, education, and personal attributes.

[Comments:5]

Continue ...

The Hamlet Art Exhibit

Local artist and townie, Ed Hamlet, displayed and offered his art work for sale on Saturday, October 4, at his home on Maple Street. This is the first time his beautiful and original art work has been displayed publicly. Ed has been painting, as a hobby, for about 80 years in his home studio.

Continue ...

Secretary of Education Visits Holliston

Massachusetts Secretary of Education Dr. Matthew Malone had a tour of a variety of classes at the Miller School on Thursday, October 2, with Principal David Keim and Superintendent Brad Jackson. He was very impressed with the students, faculty and facilities and made that well known.

[Comments:1]

Continue ...

Advertisement

Recent Articles in Local Lore:

Bogastow Brook Viaduct and Highland Tunnel in Holliston listed amongst Massachusetts Most Endangered Historic Resources

by Press Release

The Bogastow Brook Viaduct and the Highland Tunnel were both built in 1846 by the Boston and Worcester Railroad. The viaduct is an 8-arch bridge of granite and rubble fill that crosses the Bogastow Brook and also spans what was the tailrace of the former Darling Woolen Mills. The tunnel is constructed in a unique horseshoe shape with stone exterior and brick interior.

Continue ...

30th Anniversary of the Ordination of The Reverend Dr. Linnea Prefontaine

by Ceci LeBeau

Continue ...

Fall Town Meeting held October 27, 2014

by The Staff

[Comments:3]

Continue ...

Brooksmont Barn May Have Second Life

by Bobby Blair

Continue ...

12th Annual Walk Against Breast Cancer

by Nancy Farrell

[Comments:2]

Continue ...

Advertisement