Library Trustees Use Technology to Discuss Library Plans and Progress
Library Director Leslie McDonnell updated the Board of Trustees on activities moving forward at the Library.
- Leslie, Jennifer Keen, and Jennifer Carlson are culling the collections
- Materials in the Children’s section have been sanitized
- Culling has made for more space – allowing for furniture rearrangement
- Some painting has been completed
- Shields to create safety barriers for counter service have been measured and ordered
- The self-check kiosk will be isolated for safety
- Leslie is buying more e-Books
- Best selling books are in the order pipeline
- The use of Hoopla (the library’s portal to e-books, audio books, and videos) has tripled between February and April.
The Board approved the revised FY 21 budget proposal which has a 0% increase over the FY 20 budget.
The Board reviewed a draft of a 5-year plan to span 2021 – 2025. (It should be noted that the committee working on the plan completed its work prior to the COVID-19 outbreak.) The plan document includes many items taken from the recent town-wide Library survey.
Following discussion and recommended revisions, the Board voted to adopt the Plan as amended.
Next, the Board reviewed the Space Study report prepared by the library consultant that was hired by the Town. The report noted that space (however much there is), is in conflict for use between people and collections.
The Board offered feedback and edits. The Board approved the content of the report. The report will be revised by Mrs. McDonnell and recirculated to the members of the Library Board for final action.
Library Trustees’ Chair, K. Robert Malone, began the Director’s Performance Review discussion by acknowledging that he has always been a ‘tough grader’ when completing annual reviews. He quickly added that Leslie’s work during the past year has been ‘laudatory.’ Her successful efforts extended well beyond library services, especially when the roof literally fell in. Through it all, the Library lost only a day or two before it was able to service its patrons. Other members of the Board added their own positive commentary about Leslie’s results on behalf of Holliston.
The Board unanimously approved the review prepared by Chair Malone. The review will be forwarded to the Select Board.
The Friends of the Library has purchased some new items for the Library – including a child-sized kitchen play set. The annual clothing drive fund raiser may happen later in 2020.
Some ideas for what the new normal might be:
- Curbside pick-up;
- Home delivery for those who need it.
The meeting adjourned at 8:55 pm.