Thanks to Eos Foundation Grant, HPS Expands Free Meals for Children
From Susan Palefsky, Holliston Food Services Director
The Eos Foundation, a private philanthropic foundation committed to fighting hunger, poverty, and promoting education and gender/racial equity in Massachusetts, awarded the district a $1,259.60 grant to support the continued distribution of meals to children during school closures.
“We are proud to help support the great work of Susan Palefsky, the HPS School Nutrition Director, and her team,” said Andrea Silbert, President of the Eos Foundation. “They are front-lines heroes, ensuring distribution of nutritious meals for children at this unprecedented time.”
As part of the USDA’s emergency COVID-19 response, Holliston Public Schools has been providing children aged 0-21 with free, nutritious breakfast and lunch meals every day of the week.
HPS serves meals Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm at the Miller Elementary School drop off/pick up loop.
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday distribution—each includes two free meals: 2-bagged breakfasts and 2-bagged lunches;
- All children ages 0-21 and preschool-aged children can receive meals;
- Children do not need to be present for parents/guardians to pick up the meals;
- All children–regardless of town of residence or school attended–are welcome, as this is a community-wide meals program;
- The Miller School site encourages safe social distancing (individuals should remain six feet apart);
- ● Contact the Food Service Department at email@example.com if you cannot pick up meals. Provide your family name, the number of people in need of meals, and your street address.
“We want everyone to know that these healthy meals are available to every child and young adults. Parents/caregivers can pick up meals on children’s behalf to help ensure safe social distancing,” said Superintendent Brad Jackson. “We know that home food supplies are running low and it’s important to try to keep people out of the supermarkets. This is a federally funded program, and the food is nutritious, so please come take your meals and spread the word.”
For an up-close look at Holliston’s Grab and Go lunch program, click here-> Grab-n-go video. (With endless thanks to HCAT for the video!)