HPD Monthly Update: April 2021 and the “Coffee with a Cop” Community Event
- During the month of April, all department members reviewed Policy 2.04 “Criminal Intelligence.”
- During the month of April, all department members reviewed Policy 2.05 “Domestic Violence.”
- During the month of April, all department members reviewed Policy 2.06 “Bias Crimes.”
- During the month of April, all department members completed their required in-service training hours in the subject area of; “Domestic Violence and Report Writing.” The three-hour course was instructed by Detective Maguire and Middlesex Assistant District Attorney Laura Miller.
- During the month of April, several department members attended a one-day course entitled “Fair and Impartial Policing” at the Southbridge Hotel and Conference Center. This course was paid for and sponsored by the Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC).
- On April 2, 2021, Sergeant Hagan and K-9 Mattis successfully passed their “North American Police Work Dog Association” patrol and narcotics detection certification in Worcester, MA.
- On April 6th – 8th, Lieutenant Leurini assisted the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission (MPAC) as an assessor during an on-site assessment for re-accreditation at the Canton Police Department.
- On April 10, 2021, Officer Bryan Digiorgio reached fifteen (15) years of service with the Holliston Police Department.
- On April 11th – 17th, the Holliston Police Department celebrated and recognized our public safety dispatchers during “National Telecommunicator Appreciation Week.”
- On April 14th – 15th, 2021, Detective Avey attended a two-day training course entitled “Breaking and Entering Evidence Recovery” at the Hopkinton Police Department.
- On April 15, 2021, Officer Tim Heney reached thirty-six (36) years of service with the Holliston Police Department.
- On April 20, 2021, Sergeant Hagan and K-9 Mattis successfully passed their “United States Police Canine Association” Region 4 narcotics re-certification.
- On April 22, 2021, Officer Scott Downey reached twenty-five (25) years of service with the Holliston Police Department.
- On April 22nd – 23rd, 2021, Sergeant Remkus attended a two-day training course entitled “Firearms Instructor Development Course – Instructor Certification” at the MPTC Randolph Police Academy.
- On April 28th, School Resource Officer Digiorgio and Officer Hulme attended a one-day “Mental Health First Aid” training event at the Hopkinton Police Department.
- On April 29, 2021, Chief Stone and Detective Maguire attended the monthly operations meeting for the Ashland, Sherborn, Holliston, Hopkinton (ASHH) Jail Diversion Program (JDP) at the Hopkinton Fire Department Headquarters.
- On April 29th, several Officers attended their annual “Electronically Controlled Weapons (ECW)” recertification at the Holliston Police Department. The four-hour recertification course was instructed by Sergeant Belson and Officer MacGray.
- During the month of April, Sergeant/K-9 Hagan and K-9 Mattis completed their mandatory 16 hours of in-service training with the Boston Police K-9 Unit.
- On April 2, 2021, Sergeant Belson, Officer Charette, Officer Grace, and Detective Avey received a visit from Colin Beattie of Beverly, MA. Young Colin and his mother have been making their way across Massachusetts visiting police departments and have collected over 120 department patches and close to 70 challenge coins. Our evening shift invited Colin and his mom into the police station for a tour and gave him an authentic HPD shoulder patch and challenge coin for his collection.
- On April 24, 2021, Officer Scanlon, Detective Maguire, Officer Ciavarra, and Officer Parent participated in the semi-annual “Prescription Drug Take Back Day” sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) at the Holliston Police Department. A total of 52.4 pounds of prescription medications were collected by the Holliston Police Department and properly disposed of in accordance with Department of Justice regulations.
Publishers’ Note: This event was listed as an upcoming event the last update from Chief Stone.
- On May 4, 2021, the Holliston Police Department, hosted a “blast from the past” (pre-COVID), “Coffee with a Cop” at Coffee Haven. Members of HPD were joined by MSP Troopers, a Babson University officer, and three K-9’s and their human partners.
Above: Det. Ciara Maguire, Officer David Charette, and Officer Daniel Griffith were not deterred by the cool and damp conditions and greeted an unidentified patron as the festivities began. Warm coffee was available for public consumption.
By far the most-photogenic (and well-behaved) prize goes to (L-R below) Margo, Pippin, and Roger.
Margo and Pippin are MSP K-9’s partnered with Ken Proulx and Scott Irish, respectively. Roger, who was advertised as “a friendly member of the Babson Univ. Police Department,” and his handler / trainer Kevin Carrigan (who was also friendly).
Chief Stone reported that later in the three-hour event several other service dogs came by to check out their four-legged friends. All-in-all a positive sign of public activities to come.
- Saturday, May 22nd – “HHS Senior Graduation Parade” – members of the Holliston Police Department will be assisting the Holliston High School administration team and class of 2021 with their senior graduation parade.
- Sunday, May 9th – Saturday, May 15th – The Holliston Police Department will participate in several events related to “National Police Week.”
- Monday, May 31st – The Holliston Police Department will be participating in the annual “Memorial Day Parade.”
- Summer 2021 – The Holliston Police Department is in the process of planning our annual “Junior Police Academy” sessions for students entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grades. No dates have been set at this time, but more information to come soon.
71 total views, 1 views today