Council on Aging Holds September Meeting
The September meeting of the Holliston Council on Aging (CoA) was held on Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021. Chair Yvette Cain called the meeting to order at 2:01 pm. The meeting was conducted in a hybrid format with some members in person and others Zooming in. After reading the state-mandated instructions regarding remote meetings, the Council got down to business.
Mrs. Cain began by noting several items:
- The Senior Support Foundation’s (SSF) annual Fall Fair will be held on Saturday, Sept. 11th from 9 – 3.
- New associate members Lynne Bajdek and Janet Alexander were welcomed
- Cathy Anguish has volunteered to take the meeting minutes.
- Two long-time Senior Center Volunteers passed away recently: Gerta Call and Edwina Kirby
- Bob Hopkins submitted his resignation as a CoA member, his wife Shirley has resigned as an Associate Member.
- Mr. Hopkins’ resignation creates a vacancy as CoA Vice Chair.
- Bob Malone has resigned as the CoA on the Town’s Comprehensive Long-range Planning Committee (CLRPC)
- Georgia Papavasiliou has submitted a letter expressing her desire to become an Assoc. Member of the CoA.
- Masks are required for all who enter municipal buildings as of Sept. 7th (see above)
The Council took care of approving the meeting minutes for the June and July CoA meetings. A thank you to Asst. Dir. Amanda Boralessa for taking the July minutes.
Senior Center Director, Lisa Borchetta, reported the following:
- Introduced the Center’s new Administrative Assistant Deb Dupuis. Deb has been a long-time van driver and now splits her time driving and administrative tasks.
- Interviews are ongoing for new van drivers.
- Two requests have been submitted for funding from the Town’s American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) allotment:
- A survey of the Town’s senior population to effectively plan to serve the needs of seniors in Holliston.
- A home repair program to assist senior homeowners complete necessary repairs to remain safely in their home.
- Several requests for funds from the SSF were presented and approved by the Council:
- Monthly breakfasts for Oct, Nov, and Dec. = $300
- Coffee House with bluegrass music Sept. 30 = $250 (new activity)
- Monthly Veterans’ Coffee Hour = $150 (new activity)
- Modern pronouns seminar Oct. 6 = $250 (new activity)
- Halloween treats Oct. 27 =$300
The Council approved the proposed monthly meeting dates for Oct 2021 – June 2022
The Council accepted Ms. Papavasiliou as an Associate Member
The CoA is looking for a representative to sit on the CLRPC. Mr. Malone suggests that the CoA’s representative should be an advocate for seniors and public safety. The CoA representative does NOT need to be a member of the CoA. Interested parties should contact CoA Chair Yvette Cain, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frank Caron thanked Mr. Malone for his many years of service to the CoA. Mr. Malone assured the Council that he is cutting back his commitment but NOT going anywhere.
The Council will revisit the Vice Chair and CLRPC vacancies at its next meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 2:37pm.