Library Trustees Welcome New Member and Attend to Business
The December 1, 2021, remote meeting of the Library Trustees began at 7:01 PM with Chair Karla Alfred’s roll call of members. On this evening, Gweneth Swain, newest member, was present for her first meeting and a kind welcome.
Above, new Trustee Gweneth Swain (L) and Library Director Leslie McDonnell (R).
Alfred asked Leslie McDonnell, Library Director, to review the November 2021 Director’s Report. McDonnell reported on several fronts:
- She attended the Small Libraries Forum “Transforming Communities: Making the Most of the Space You Have,” and “Being the Boss Burnout,” on November 16-17.
- Both McDonnell and Jennifer Carlson, Children’s Librarian, intend to submit a grant request for $10,000 to the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). The grant, titled “Mind in the Making: Engaging Young Children in Interactive Learning and Doing” required submission of a letter of intent and the library’s FY2023 Action Plan. The last year Holliston received a LSTA grant was in 2006, used for One Book, One Holliston.
- Plan to hire a new Library Director: Input from staff will be elicited soon. McDonnell will also create a form for staff to use.
- The Director’s Evaluation: McDonnell is completing her “Self Evaluation” to be submitted when complete to both Chair Alfred and Travis Ahern, Town Administrator.
- Friends of the Library: Two large grants from families were recently given to the Friends group. Purchases by the Friends group include books in memory of Bill Sheehan, $500 in books, and a new scanner. Additionally, the Friends will support some maintenance of the Holliston Rail Trail Storybook Walk.
Chair Alfred, with no further business to conduct, adjourned the meeting at 7:24 PM. The next meeting of the Trustees is January 5, 2022.
Check out the Library website for upcoming events: https://www.hollistonlibrary.org/