Council on Aging Holds its June Meeting
The Holliston Council on Aging (CoA) held its June meeting on Wednesday, June 8, 2022. Chair Yvette Cain called the meeting to order at 2:00pm. There was a full house including CoA members, Sr. Ctr. Staff, and special guest Neil Svendsen, Senior Support Foundation Chair.
Chair Cain asked for a moment of silence in memory of Bob Hopkins, a long-time member of the CoA and a constant champion of Holliston’s veterans’ community.
Under the heading of Communications:
- Chair Cain and Sr. Ctr Director Lisa Borchetta will be holding their quarterly update with Select Board Liaison John Cronin on Monday, June 13th.
- Envisioning Future Holliston Survey #2 is open for responses. There are two ways to respond:
- Online -> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSePacrGM71mj3T_y3Qzi5n4swnJS5y23OEpezjpJiYwF1bwZw/viewform
- Hard copy – forms at the Senior Center and other Town buildings.
- It is essential that more senior citizens respond to the survey to ensure the proper needs / priorities come through in the results.
- Survey closes in August 2022 – seeking at least 1,000 responses.
- While the Town website advises the survey may take 30 minutes, it generally takes less than that.
- It is possible to start the online survey (90 questions) and leave / save the survey and return later to complete all the questions.
- Frank Caron, far right in photo above, is leaving the CoA at the end of this term (this meeting) after serving for 14 years. Thank you, Frank, for all those years of volunteer service.
Senior Center Assistant Director Amanda Boralessa:
- Several meals / events have been recently held – Summer Cookout, Summer Sizzler, and the Volunteer Thank you Luncheon.
- 5 new volunteers have signed up to cover the needs at the Center.
- Volunteers are needed for the Annual Fall Fair (more below).
- A new event, “Select Chat” will begin on July 1st. This is meant to be a casual coffee and conversation with a member of the Select Board.
- Casino bus trips are back! Sign up for the first trip to Twin Rivers in July.
Outreach Coordinator Melecia DaCosta:
- Has started to make home visits to Holliston seniors.
Senior Center Director Lisa Borchetta: Here are the highlights from Ms. Borchetta’s written report:
- The 8th grade service day at the Sr. Ctr was a “whirlwind of activity”
- 21 grab bars have been installed to date as part of the Senior Safe program run in conjunction with the Holliston Fire Department.
- The critical home safety repair program, funded by an ARPA grant, and administered by Habitat for Humanity will begin accepting applications in July
- The UMass Gerontological Institute survey of Holliston Seniors is on target to be released in the Fall.
- Seniors will receive a postcard giving a “heads up” that the survey is coming.
- The paper-based survey will be mailed to seniors’ homes.
- Asst Director Amanda Boralessa is completing her first year of service at the Center. Congratulations Amanda – for a year of service and best wishes on your impending nuptials.
Senior Support Foundation:
Chair Neil Svendsen alerted all to the date for the Annual Fall Fair, September 10, 2022. Volunteers are needed to staff the Fair – getting everything ready and on the day of the sale. Donation of goods for the Fair will be accepted on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am – 1 pm BEGINNING July 12th.
- Approved the FY 23 meeting schedule: 2nd Wednesday of each month Sept – June.
- Approved Associate Member Lynn Bajdek as a full member to fill Frank Caron’s vacant seat.
- Approved the FY 23 slate of Officers: Chair, Yvette Cain; Vice-chair, Kathy Anguish; Treasurer, Carmen Chiango, Jr.; Secretary, TBD.
124 total views, 1 views today