Knights of Columbus 2022 – Year in Review
One of the core tenets of the Knight of Columbus is charitable giving: time, talents, and/or financial. The St. Mary’s Knights Council 14224 has been giving charitably to Holliston since 2007, thanks to the generosity of you: our families, friends, and neighbors; 2022 was another year of service and charity to our Church and Community.
Members of the Council served the local parish in the following ways:
- We dressed up St. Mary’s parking lot with our annual Mulch Spreading event
- We set up and took down the Crèche and helped with the Christmas tree in the church
- We helped the St. Mary’s Spring BBQ and Fall Pasta Dinner to be successful through ticket sales and serving the food
- On the religious side, we held:
- Our first Novena – developed by Knights Ron Dowding and Tom Brodo
- Another Silver Rose ceremony
- Our monthly Rosary
- The annual Divine Mercy Sunday
Knights served the Holliston community by volunteering at:
- Our annual Red Cross Blood drive
- The Holliston Senior Support Foundation Fall Fair
Council 14224 Knights’ reach went beyond Holliston. Members supported:
- Our annual Give-A-Gift weekend, delivered 630 gifts to two inner city Boston parishes
- Our Tootsie Roll weekend brought in funds to help handicapped children in the region
Our annual financial charitable contributions were made possible the robust support from those who bought raffle tickets, recycled electronics, entered the Swing for Charity golf tournament, and drove in the first annual Road Rallye. Thank you, Holliston and neighboring communities, for making this one of our best years for fundraising.
Pictured below are scenes from some of the fundraising events held in 2022. (Clockwise from top left, electronics recycling, Road Rallye Start Line, Celebrate Holliston, and golf tournament)
Once again, ticket sales for the annual Charity Raffle allowed the Council to pay out five cash prizes ($1,000 – $100) and allowed us to donate a record amount to deserving charities.
Below Grand Knight Al Scaramella and Golf Tournament Chair Tony Polise present Dave O’Neil, Holliston Pantry Shelf Treasurer with a $9,000 donation, proceeds from the Swing for Charity tournament.
In addition to the Holliston Pantry Shelf, we made donations to:
- Food pantries in Medway, Millis, Milford, and Ashland (we sell raffle tickets in these communities)
- Holliston Senior Center,
- Homes for Our Troops,
- Tunnel 2 Towers,
- Holliston Historical Society,
- Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism,
- Xaverian Shrine,
- Coats for Kids,
- Wreathes Across America (Bourne and Holliston Cemeteries)
It has been a busy and rewarding year for the St. Mary’s Knights of Columbus – thanks to the time, effort, and funds provided by the entire community.
We look forward to continuing our service in 2023.