New Old Barn Part 7 – Final Installment

In this final segment, Mark Dellicker describes why he selected shiplap for the siding and reveals that the owners wanted to preserve the “squeak” in the old door.

But first a little history about the weathervane and the Wilder Building from which it came.

According to the owners who were living in St. Louis, their daughter and her husband had moved to Holliston and bought a lovely little Cape on High Steet. One Christmas they came to St. Louis and brought us a weathervane hand forged at the Wilder Shop.  When we moved from St. Louis we took the weathervane down and packed it away.  It made three more moves with us ending up in Holliston.  When Mark made the cupola for the barn, I already had the topper for the it.  Essentially the bird had come home to roost.

Town Historian Joanne Hulbert found reference to Sidney Wilder in newspapers in the Holliston Historical Society library:

“Sidney Wilder was president of the Holliston Bank, and senior member of the firm of S. Wilder & Co., pump manufacturers. He was born in Clinton, Mass., September 15, 1813, and came here in 1835. His early business as that of a comb maker. Understanding thoroughly all the branches of the trade fitted him to fill an important position in the works of Houghton & Joslyn, who had started a pump factory in East Holliston, and there he learned the trade. Later he formed a co-partnership which has existed until the present including his two brothers, George and Charles. The products of their factory are sold the country over and are noted for superior workmanship and the reputation of the firm being noted for the highest integrity. Mr. Wilder has been selectman seven or eight times and represented the town in the Legislature in 1878.”

The Wilder School in East Holliston was named so in his honor due to his status as one of Holliston’s “money men.” Link to the video: https://youtu.be/1Ywcfj4EBFg

 194 total views,  3 views today

Paul Saulnier

Leave a Comment





Categories