Bobby’s (Blair not Flay) Home Cooking
The Mayor’s Unconventional Sweet & Sour
I just delivered an old cookbook to the little library down the street. I tend to cook from the gut and figure recipes are for those who have more patience than me. This concoction is simply to make and makes great leftovers. Delete the meat and it becomes a vegan meal.
- A quart or so of apple cider
- 4 or 5 hot or sweet sausages. Best to pre-cook and sliced thinly
- A small can of mushrooms
- A can of pineapple chunks
- A jar of Maraschino cherries — for color
- A handful of brown sugar – dark or light
- Another handful of white sugar
- Raisins — your call
- A pepper — sliced or diced
- Onion — cut into cubes
- Walnuts or cashews for crunch
- Corn Starch – half a handful
- A can of Water Chestnuts or Bamboo Shoots
Pour apple cider into a good-sized pot. Mix in your corn starch while cider is still cool and mix. Add white and brown sugar. Bring the pot to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook for ten minutes and serve over a bed of rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. You can substitute the sausages with chicken, meatballs or shrimp. You can add or subtract to the list of veggies till the cows come home.
So can we look forward to the white van as food truck at the Mayor’s Plantation in 2022?
(Smart back up strategy in view of the limited and overpriced source of dahlia bulbs you described earlier.)
Time to set aside the Top Hat for a Toque Blanche👨🏻🍳??