VFW Post 8507 Celebrates 75 Years
Edward Cox would serve as the first post commander when the organization was chartered on November 21st 1946. Members have included veterans from every war since the Spanish American War to present day military members serving in harm’s way. The post home located at 310 Woodland Street saw its construction begin in 1960. The building served everything from a bingo hall to classroom space when the town lacked enough room in existing buildings. The main beam for the building was taken from the Darling Woolen Mill which burned down in the 1930s and was located just down Woodland Street on Factory Pond. With a declining membership due to the passing of many WWII veterans, the building was sold in 2012 to a martial arts business, but the VFW was allowed space in the lower basement for quarters. VFW membership is limited to those veterans who served overseas.
Sunday’s gathering for the 75 year milestone was held at Anthony’s on the Green at Pinecrest Golf Course on October 15th.
Invited guest included Rep. James Arena DeRosa who recalled seeing Spanish American War Veterans in his hometown parade, and John Cronin and Tina Hein representing the select board who presented a proclamation.
District VFW Commander Patrick Logue presented Commander of Post 8507 David DeGanne with an “All American” plaque for achieving 100 percent membership.