Council on Aging Keeping Holliston Seniors Connected
At the September monthly meeting of the Council on Aging (CoA) bid farewell to Linda Sottile who is leaving as Assistant Director, welcomed Bryan Perkins as the new Asst. Dir. – beginning September 14th, and a new member of the Council was recommended for appointment by the Select Board to fill a vacancy on the Council.
Highlights from the Director’s Report:
- Many repairs / installations have been completed at the Senior Center.
- Facilities Manager, James Keast has been instrumental in the changes at the Center
- The Center is now being cleaned / sanitized by Nan/Kay Cleaning which cares for the downtown Town facilities
- The Center is now undergoing a deep cleaning
- The Center continues to deliver about 45 meals to seniors on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Outreach and Transportation Coordinator, Marty Schneier continues efforts to use technology to connect with seniors especially through fuel assistance and grief and loss group sessions.
- The SHINE program will be available for Medicare open enrollment
- The Sr. Ctr. has applied for an $18,000 grant from the MetroWest Health Foundation to acquire iPads to help connect more seniors to the programs offered through the Center.
- The full list of the Center’s offerings are in the bi-monthly Senior Newsletter and were poste on Monday September 7th in the Holliston Reporter https://hollistonreporter.com/2020/09/senior-center-news-and-activities-for-september-and-october/
- Following the Select Board’s recently adopted CARES Act funding request process, the Council approved the request for a sum not to exceed $1,000 to acquire A/V equipment that will allow more programs at the Center be shared with the senior community. The request has preliminary approval from the Select Board.
- The Council approved the request for Senior Support Foundation (SSF) funding for the ‘Concert in your Car’ event featuring ‘Jumping Juba’ to be held in the Senior Center parking lot on Tuesday, September 22nd. The Holliston Cultural Commission is a co-sponsor of this event.
- The Council also approved SSF funding for the Halloween Cookout scheduled to be held outdoors at the Center on October 27th.
- The members of the Council voted unanimously to recommend Council Associate Member, Kathy Anquish to fill the vacancy on the CoA. Chair Bob Malone will forward the recommendation to the Select Board for action.
The October CoA meeting is scheduled for Oct. 14, 2020 at 1:00 pm.