Select Board Makes Quick Work of Business
The Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Select Board meeting was called to order by Vice-chair Tina Hein as Mr. Cronin was away.
Mrs. Hein invited Emergency Management Director, Fire Chief Michael Cassidy to provide the Board with an update on the COVID pandemic.
Chief Cassidy shared data that continues to show improving trends in Holliston. We continue to be in the Yellow category on the State’s scale.
Holliston’s positivity rate dipped below 3% for the first time since before Thanksgiving.
Also, he shared that MA is in the top 10 nationwide in vaccines administered per capita!
A new centralized State-sponsored website (above) is up and running to streamline the search for vaccinations for the eligible population.
A new mass vaccination site will open at the Natick mall NEXT Monday. Appointments can be booked starting this Thursday for the new site.
The Holliston Senior Center volunteers have been successful at scheduling appointments for many Holliston residents who requested assistance navigating the registration process.
Cassidy reminded everyone that even with both doses of the vaccine, citizens should continue to wear masks and keep a safe distance from others.
CARES Act Programmatic update: Chief Cassidy provided a weekly update of approved CARES Act funds (below).
Warrants: The Board approved the weekly warrant of $1,819,835.20
- Mr. Sparrell: Passed along citizen compliments to the DPW for recent snow removal efforts – especially in the downtown area.
- Mrs. Hein: Thanked HPD and DPW for their assistance on Friday, Feb. 12th during the Safe Routes to School ‘Winter Walk’
- Public: None
Comments from the Town Administrator:
Mr. Ahern brought the following to the Board’s attention:
- The Governance Committee has posted its proposed Town By-laws changes on its webpage (below)
- The Town Clerk reminds citizens that the following openings exist on Town Boards / Committees. Interested candidates should return completed nomination petitions by April 6, 2021 for the May 25, 2021 election.
- The Town Hall front door work will begin Monday Feb 22nd
- Sr. Ctr interior painting will begin this Thursday
- Sr. Ctr flooring will be installed beginning March 1st
- Library painting will begin February 22nd (corrected thanks to James Keast)
- Library carpet installation will begin March 8th
- The search for a new Sr. Ctr. Director continues with the selection committee (Travis Ahern, Chris Meo, and Yvette Cain) will interview the finalists soon. The plan is to have a period of overlap with Linda Marshall staying on to get the new Director up to speed.
FY22 Budget & Revenue Update
a. No specific budget reviews scheduled due to School Vacation week
b. Next week (Feb. 22): DPW Highway and Motor Vehicle Fuels
- Accept a S.A.F.E. and Senior Safe $7,172 grant to HFD from the Executive Office of Public Safety, Dept of Fire Service
- Approved Meeting Minutes of January 21 and 25, 2021 Select Board meetings
- Appointed American Legion Memorial Day Committee members: Steve Bradford, Steve Napolitano, Walter McGrath
- Authorized the Town Administrator to submit Holliston’s “Expression of Interest” for the State’s Community One Stop for Growth
- Awarded a $21,900 Engineering Contract to A.P. Associates for drainage and road improvements in Mudville
- Awarded a $74,420 Contract to MJS Construction Inc for Library Masonry Repair & Restoration
- Awarded a $71,024 Contract to O’Sullivan Flooring for Upper Town Hall Floor refinishing
Other Business: None
The meeting adjourned at 7:50pm.